Monday, December 15, 2014

Greetings from the future Mrs. Holmstrom

At long last, Adam & I are finally engaged! He asked in the more adorable way possible, with the help of our little man. Him & my best friend, Zibba, had apparently been planning this for months. While he had big plans to make his proposal a big deal, when he asked my father for his permission, my dad asked if he was going to do it that night. When he responded no, that he wanted to take me out and make it a big special thing, my dad said that he better do it that night because he couldn't keep that secret and that he was about to start calling people that night. So, in order to prevent me from hearing the news from someone else, AJ put on his improv hat. We had plans to go grocery shopping that night, and spend the evening relaxing. I had gotten the news that morning that I would not receive my student loans in time for the January semester and would have to wait until the May semester to start medical school. I told Adam on the way to the store that we would be postponing leaving for school until May. When we got home from the store, I gave Cooper to AJ and went to look for something to make for dinner. When I came back, they were still in the bedroom with the door closed, and when I walked into the room I saw AJ on one knee, holding Cooper. At first I was so confused, I thought that maybe Cooper had dropped something, or something had happened. I then realized that Cooper was wearing something different than what I left him in 3 minutes prior. I proceeded to read his (adorable) onesie, looked at AJ who had taken the ring box out from behind his back and my jaw immediately dropped. He then asked me to marry him ( I said yes, of course). He gave me my jaw-droopingly gorgeous ring, and Cooper stole the box and was in pure Heaven. After we had hugged and kissed for what seemed like forever, AJ looked at Cooper & said something that literally broke my heart into a million happy pieces.. "Are you so excited that Mama will have our last name now?". For those who were around when I found out that I was pregnant.. you know how big of a deal it was for me to not have the same name as my child. I (& AJ) did not want to rush into getting married just because we found out about Cooper, and I certainly did not want to get married while I was pregnant, but it still hit me really hard that I would have a different last name on Cooper's birth certificate. Knowing that I will now have the same last name as my baby boy (& the love of my life) just makes me so overwhelmingly happy. I couldn't have asked for a better proposal. We spent the rest of the evening cuddling as a family, giving Cooper his bath and then AJ & I got to spend some time together snuggling on the couch. Of course, per usual, Cooper woke up a few hours after we put him down. He decided he wanted to not go back to sleep until 4 am. Poor Adam had slept on the couch until 5 am when he finally came to bed until he had to be up at 6 for work. We later joked that he spent our engagement night on the couch. AJ had had a guy's weekend planned for that weekend for a few weeks, so he spent the rest of the weekend going out with his friends. All in all, we didn't spend very much time together this weekend.. but when you have your whole lives ahead of you.. what's one weekend I suppose?













No comments:

Post a Comment