Saturday, November 6, 2021

Keto Candied Pecans

I love fall best of all for many reasons, one being that you can get candied nuts at so many seasonal activities/shops. However, these are typically made with white sugar and brown sugar which make them very high in calories and carbs. I have therefore come up with a low-carb version that I make at home using a combination of Swerve sweetener and Truvia and Swerve brown sugar. 

To start, I generally use a 16 oz bag of raw pecan halves but this can be done with almond, walnuts, cashes etc. For this amount of nuts, I use one egg white and about 1 tbsp of vanilla extract, mixed together. For the dry ingredients I combine the Swerve granulated sugar, Swerve Brown Sugar and Truvia along with some cinnamon (to taste). You want about 1 cup of mixture at the end.. so I generally use 1/2 cup Swerve granulated, 1/4 sup Swerve Brown Sugar and 1/4 cup Truvia (I find that Truvia is typically more coarse and lends to a more "candied" texture of the nuts).

Thoroughly coat the nuts in the egg white/vanilla mixture and then start pouring the sugar mixture over the nuts in sections, making sure to toss the nuts in between each dose of sugar. You want the nuts to be completely covered, and to be able to see granules on the nuts. Place them in a single layer on a sprayed, parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and put them in. 



THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL: YOU MUST STIR THE NUTS EVERY 15 MINUTES TO PREVENT BURNING!! (I will oftentimes pull up on the corners of the parchment paper and toss them around that way). 

These will cook for 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min. They are done once they have colored up a bit, and the sugar looks to be beginning to "candy". 

I like to pull the parchment paper from the cookie sheet onto a cooling rack in true ninja mode fashion, making sure I do not drop any precious pecans. These should be set aside to cool and harden up. Store in a cookie tin, or other sealed dish. These do not last long in our house and are my go-to holiday party contribution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment