Monday, November 8, 2021

You Had Me At Taco

 We are big taco lovers here in the H House. Also a huge plus, Cooper loves tacos too. A year or so back, I started looking into carnita recipes, and took the dive. To my success, everyone loved it (WAWHOO). This meal has become a staple in our house. Juicy, tender and charred up pork shoulder combined with a Mexican style charcuterie board, I mean how can you say no? I have paired this dish with either warmed up corn tortillas, flour tortillas and even our low-carb wheat tortillas on nights that we aren't wanting to feel so guilty. 

For the pork rub I use salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, chili powder, garlic powder and some oregano. I lather that baby up really well and toss it in my warmed up roasting pan (no rack). I sear all sides of the roast, adding about 2 tbsp of EVOO once the pork is in. While the pork is roasting, I start warming about 48oz of water and throw 3 beef bouillon cubes in to make a beef broth. I slice 3 jalapeno peppers, 1 yellow onion and about 4 cloves of garlic as well. Once I am on my last side to sear of the pork, I throw the onions, garlic and peppers onto the side of the pan and toss them in the seasoned up oil and juices that are coming from the pork. I let those sautee for a bit and soften up. Meanwhile, I am juicing 1 lime and tossing it in with the onion mixture as well. Once the veggies have softened, I scootch them over, lay the pork down with the fat pad side down and pour the beef broth in. I mix the onion mixture around in the broth and baste the pork a few times. Cover that baby up with some tin foil and throw it in the oven, set to 350 degrees. I baste the pork once maybe every 1.5 hours. My pork cooks for around 6 hours in the oven. You know its ready when you can very easily pull a chunk off with a fork and it is tender. Around the 6 hour mark, I pull the pork from the oven and put it on a big serving dish with higher edges because the juice tends to leak. The sign of a perfectly cooked pork shoulder is when you can pull the bone right out from the pork and it comes out clean. It seriously is so satisfying. I shred the pork up, and put it on a lined cookie sheet. (keep in mind, typically there is so much meat that it will not all fit on one tray, so I fully line a sheet and save the rest for later.) I then ladle some of the yummy juices from the roasting pan on top of the shredded pork and put it under the broiler. You want to keep it in long enough to toast up the tips of the pork, but do not burn it. 

Once you have achieved your desired toastyness, remove the baking tray and put the meat in a serving bowl, get your toppings ready to go and chow down! For toppings in our house we enjoy: chihuahua cheese, lettuce, diced onions, salsa, guacamole, enchilada sauce (I know these aren't enchiladas but it really is so good). 








No comments:

Post a Comment